Thursday, July 11, 2024

Summer Mode

Summer, I posted the other day, has begun.

Since I was a little kid, I've spent at least some time visiting family in Maine every summer. Now that I've got little kids of my own, I'm grateful that I get to bring them to this magical place. In the spring of 2020, we packed up the car and came out here for what turned out to be a four-month respite; a small town on the coast of Maine was a much better way for two young kids to endure a worldwide pandemic than our crowded Chicago neighborhood. 

That was a strange spring, and it was a wonderful summer.

It was also a reminder that we could do this every year. My wife and I are both teachers (my parents were teachers, too, and it still seems strange to me that normal people have to work in the summer), and this seemed like a lot more fun than the summer teaching gigs we'd pick up in the Before Times.

This year we stayed in Chicago for a few weeks after the school year ended to see friends and enjoy summer in the city. It was fun--Chicago is a fantastic summer town, packed with block parties, movies in the parks, and beautiful beaches--but it didn't really feel like summer to me. 

We left on Canada Day, coincidentally camping in Canada that night so we could spend a day at Niagara Falls (10/10 by the way, I should write a bit about that amazingness) before arriving at my forever summer home. It just feels right here, you know?

The first morning, we took the canoe across the Creek (we call it the Creek, but it's a lot more impressive than that makes it sound--it's actually a branch of the Kennebec River, a few hundred yards upstream of where it feeds into the Atlantic Ocean) to a magical sand bar beach that only appears at low tide.

We have a routine there: we all get out on the pristine sand, I haul the canoe up far enough that the rising tide won't take it before it's time to go home, and we spend a few hours playing in the gentle waves. If we get the timing right, small islands appear briefly as the water rises; I wrote one of my favorite haiku about that moment a few years ago.


Now it feels like summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Summer Mode

Summer, I posted the other day , has begun. Since I was a little kid, I've spent at least some time visiting family in Maine every summe...